Any person who subscribes to the purposes and policies of the League is welcome to become a member. Although our history and our official name might suggest otherwise, many of our members are men.
There are three categories of membership.
- Voting members are U.S. citizens who are at least 18 years of age and who reside within the United States, a territory or an associated commonwealth. They are voting members of local Leagues, state Leagues and the LWVUS.
- Members-at-large are state residents who live outside the area of a local League and have not joined a local League. They pay their dues to the state League.
- Associate members are all other members.
Life members are those who make a lump sum life membership payment to the LWVUS and/or those who have been League members for 50 years or more. Life members are excused from paying dues.
- Provides you with information on issues, candidates and government
- Offers you experience in leadership, lobbying and research
- Puts you in touch with community leaders, legislators and leadership officials
- Introduces you to a network of interesting, involved people
- Helps you become a knowledgeable and competent member of your community
The State League provides all Kentucky members a subscription to its newsletter The Kentucky Voter and a copy of With One Voice, a reference work that includes LWVKY bylaws, policies and positions. Members also are entitled to all benefits offered by the local and national League.
As a League member you have the responsibility to:
- Support League with money, time and talents at a level in keeping with your personal circumstances
- Respond to requests for ideas and feedback
- Resolve to do your part to protect and improve democracy
Find the local League nearest you. Talk to members. Attend a League function. Find out about upcoming events. Ask to be reminded of events. Offer to help in some way. Then take that step and become a member.
Each local League has its own procedure for becoming a member. Contact your local League to see if they use a form for new members to fill out.